hello meet nautie. nautie was a gift for my friend patrick the math major. we were in the most ridiculous contemporary art and criticism class together and nautie basically is the missing link in complicated inside joke. so i knit this for patrick. he laughed really hard when i gifted it to him. nautie is made out of some truly awful red heart on inox US4 dpns. love him.
also, i'm really excited about SECRETPAL8 because it combines my two favorite things which are getting mail and making presents for people. survey is go.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
i love brown sheep co. i love noro. i love cotton. here comes the snobby part: i'm pretty anti-fun fur and the last thing i need is more acrylic.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
um a coffee can. ain't no good.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
eleven years. which is half my life. i'm a hardcore intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
no but that's a good idea. if i make one, secret friend, i will let you know.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
i wear chance by chanel. i like things that smell like candy except cotton candy.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
um hell yes i have a sweet tooth. dark chocolate is my biggest weakness. i also like necco wafers and those goelitz champagne sparkle thingies.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
i have never spun but i want a drop spindle. i sew and embroider and crochet. i'm also obsessed with gouache.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
my favorite bands are sonic youth, the yeah yeah yeahs and the dandy warhols. i like noisy music. mp3s are go.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
my favorite color is pink. second is green (especially lime and apple/kelly/japanese - no forest or hunter, yucky). i love gaudy shiny gold too. i guess i never wear orange.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
me and my darling cowboy husband live in a teensy weensy apartment with two kitty cats named norton and trixie after the neighbors on the honeymooners.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
frequently / rarely / yes / no no no.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
i love clever construction and a good challenge.
13. What are you knitting right now?
um i'm two rounds into a sock.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
i'm really sick of aluminum straights. i am digging on bamboo and hardwood.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
no i don't.
17. How did you learn to knit?
my mom taught me when i was in sixth grade. i figured out about a month ago i have been purling "the lazy way" for years. i don't know how that happened.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
a year. it's a black sweater with a big white skull on it. i designed it myself and it's got about 99 problems.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
valentines day because it's pink.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
vintage needlework paraphernalia (magazines and pamphlets and patterns and buttons and accountrements). i also have an unhealthy obsession with cake. especially cupcakes. if we ever buy a house i want to collect cake stands.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
i want mason-dixon knitting. i can't find filtes/king van dyck anywhere either. the only magazine i subscribe to is living.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
magic loop and needlefelting.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
yes. i wear a size seven shoe. um my foot is about 9 inches long i just measured it. it was weird.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
december first nineteen eighty-three.
THUS CONCLUDES THE LONGEST POST EVER. chicks_with_sticks, my loves, see you tonight at spot.